POSCO Steelworks Tour with AustCham Sponsors and Special Guests.
On September 19, 2019, AustCham Korea and extended guests, including the Hon. Simon Crean, Chairman of the AKBC, were invited to visit and tour POSCO’s steel mill in Pohang, South Korea. As Australia’s single largest customer in its export market, invitees were able to gain an in-person perspective of the size and magnitude of POSCO’s operations. POSCO and Australia share and long-lasting and important relationship with POSCO buying 39 million tonnes of iron ore and 12 million tonnes of coal from Australian suppliers to make steel products worth U$4.4 billion in 2018.
AustCham Korea would like to thank POSCO for organising the tour and for their constant support of the Chamber and Australian-Korean business community.
About POSCO and Pohang Works:
- Established in 1968 (1st integrated steel mill in Korea)
- Currently operates two integrated mills in Korea, Pohang & Gwangyang
- Crude steel production: 43 million tons (Pohang 17 million tons) making it the World’ s 5th largest producer.
- Selected as ‘Metals Company of the Year’ and No.1 in ‘Steel Industry Leadership’ by S&P Global Platts (2018)
- Rated as No. 1 in ‘World-class steelmaker rankings’ for 10 consecutive years by World Steel Dynamics (2010 – 2019)